What does it mean when you hold weight in your triceps, ribs and knees?
When I was studying in Los Angeles for my boards with Dr. Rakowsky, I was inspired by the brilliant personal trainers in my class who study with Charles Poliquin. They introduced me to the concept called Biosignature Modulation Method.
This method believes you can take an individual’s hormonal blueprint (their “biosignature”) by taking fat measurements in 12 specific sites on the body using calipers. The data is then used to investigate where hormones are out of whack. The belief is you can use nutrition, supplements and strength training to realign hormonal imbalances and spot reduce where individuals hold weight.
They Body Types:
- Androgen type – accumulation of fat on upper arms and chest
- Insulin type – accumulation of fat on shoulders and hips
- Thyroid type – accumulation of fat on ribs
- Cortisol type – accumulation of fat on abdomen
- Estrogen type – accumulation of fat on bottom and thighs
- Growth hormone type – accumulation of fat on knees and calf
If you have an increase in intra-abdominal fat (weight around your tummy) that could be indicative of cortisol excess, growth hormone deficiency and in men it may be associated with testosterone deficiency. Thyroid imbalances lead to challenges to lose weight, which has been showing up more often this past decade.
Using this information and applying it to your body type can help you add another piece to the puzzle.
Nutrition suggestions for each body type:
- Androgen: Increase proteins and add in magnesium, zinc, flavenoids & B-Vitamins.
- Insulin: Balance blood sugar with chromium, low-mercury fatty fish, proteins, and reduce simple carbohydrates.
- Thyroid: Add onions, asparagus and seaweeds for iodine and poultry; fish, almonds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds for tyrosine. These nutrients are required for the body to make thyroid hormones. Also, foods containing selenium (Brazil Nuts), zinc (oysters), vitamin A (carrots), vitamin D (Cod Liver Oil), vitamin E(Almonds) and vitamin B6 (lentils) help the conversion of the inactive form of thyroid hormone (T4) to the active form (T3).
- Cortisol: This body type it is more about handling stress & sensitivity to certain foods such as; wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, yeast and corn. These foods cause stress on the digestive tract and impair absorption leading to weight around the middle. To reduce stress rhodiola. Vitamin C, B5 and magnesium.
- Estrogen Type: Add cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage help to regulate liver enzymes that metabolise estrogen. Try freshly ground flax seeds and other healthy fiber sources. Also, consuming foods rich in methyl donors such as B12, B6 and folic acid may also be useful.
- Growth Hormone: Add glutamine and arginine supplements.
Before you go adding in everything that pertains to your unique body type, try only adding in one thing at a time so you can observe your body’s response. This is key.
Let us know if you need any support.
Heather Fleming, C.C.N.