I recently ran into an amazing client, she was having an off day and I was having an on day. Interesting how that works. So, we caught up, supported each other and she shared this drink with me called Switchel, and now I get to pass it along.
Switchel was originated in the Caribbean and made its way to the States 100 years ago. Also know as Haymakers punch, this concoction helped the farmers stay hydrated and cool during long days.
The breakdown of the ingredients and why they are supportive:
- Organic apple cider vinegar: Has natural sources of minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium.
- Molasses: It is a great natural source of Iron, B6, Potassium, Selenium and copper. Molasses can be supportive for people who suffer from anemia and have trouble absorbing other sources of iron and for people with diabetes.
- Ginger: A powerful natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant because of its oil called gingerol. It is a go to root for nausea and digestive troubles.
- Rhubarb: Is a great source of Vitamin K and calcium. Plus it is great to add variety in your life.
- Lime: Good ole Vitamin C and helps with the flavor of the drink.
1 T of Organic apple cider vinegar
2 cups of water
1 T of crushed fresh ginger or 1/8 cup of blended rhubarb
1 T of organic raw honey or black molasses
Top with lime and bubbly water if you desire.
Check out the demo video below and for more recipes check out the Conscious Nutrition Recipe eBook
Cheers from a switchy woman,
Heather Fleming, C.C.N
P.S. What do you need to switch-el in your day to help you feel more pleasant and connected?