No way do you dare weigh on this day!
Inflammation can happen in minutes. Whether it is caused by stress, dehydration, a bad night’s sleep, negative thoughts or loaded nachos from the baseball game. How can you support your body and help your rings or your waistband not to feel so tight?
Our bodies are brilliant and creates a set point in which your body is programmed to weigh and will fight to maintain that weight to create homeostasis. AND good news it CAN change! At your ideal set point weight, fat cells produce a given amount of leptin, (Leptin interacts with areas of the brain that control hunger and eating behavior) which maintains the internal energy balance needed for necessary cellular function. In most healthy adults, changes in body weight will trigger changes in leptin, causing appetite to either increase when body fat falls or decrease when body fat rises. However, in some susceptible individuals this energy-balance system seems to malfunction.
Dr. Christiane Northrup says it best, you can gain 3 liquid pounds in one day. What does 3 liquid pounds mean? You know that morning when you feel crappy but still jump on the scale anyway? You are 3 (liquid) pounds up and instantly become stressed. You begin to obsess about what you ate yesterday, when was the last time you exercised or what you are doing wrong? This obsessive mind (OBSESSIVE•er Feeling Eater Type) set alone is what could be holding you back from a deeper connection to yourself and body. And if you are a GUILT•er Eating Type, this session on the scale may set you into a tail spin. I am not a huge fan the scale for my clients. Instead I have them try to NOT weigh themselves on these days, especially if this is an addiction. The best resource to connect to your body is how you FEEL in your heart, body and then clothes!
Your mind wants to “weigh” a certain way, while your body wants to “feel” a certain way!
All of these factors can increase your “weight” in ONE DAY!
- Malnutrition & Processed foods
- Eating our emotions and emotional distress
- Poor sleeping habits especially if you wake up every night. You can shift this!
- Digestive issues
- HORMONES:) Which shift every 7 years!
- High simple carbohydrate meals
- Food allergies
- Thyroid and Immune System Issues
- Intense conversations
- Mental chatter before bed or it wakes you up
Please do not weigh yourself on the day when you have any of these things come up. Instead, give yourself a break. Instead of being hard on yourself, switch to this mind set and say…
“What can I do today to nourish myself”?
It may be something as simple as sitting in the sunshine for 5 minutes (We all need Vitamin D). This is the time to PIVOT! Instead of going into ultra reactive stress mode, try these tips to help clear the inflammation as quick as possible.
- Switch up your quantity and quality of food: EAT MORE for a couple of days. Yep, you heard me. Heaps of my clients are undernourishing themselves. Try adding in heaps of raw veggies or have an extra serving of sweet potato. Just like when you need to hydrate your skin, you add extra quality moisturizer, when you add in more quality food this will saturate your cells. Initially after eating more you will balance your blood sugar and give your brain and other organs the glucose and nutrients it has been needing. This will also support your body to turn off the famine (fat storing) switch and turn on your fat burning switch.
- Increase your water intake: Try a water challenge. Gently increase your water every week to a goal of adding in 50 oz of water by noon or 75 oz by 3 pm. This will help your lungs, kidney and bladder release toxins and water retention.
- Add in extra Potassium and Magnesium: Add in foods that are dense in these minerals. When you go to the grocery store, grab these first: spinach (cooked), almonds, quinoa, black beans, coconut water and dried apricots. Create a recipe from these ingredients and notice how your energy gets an uplift.
- Add in stretching or a new movement routine: Try to wake up and stretch first thing in the morning or before you go to bed. This can support your circulation and lymphatic system to reboot upon waking or before sleep. Another idea is to try an activity you have never done before. Whether it is something you have always been curious about or use to love to do like jumping jacks, lunges or jump rope. I personally tried kettle bell swings consistently for 3 months, and felt stronger during my yoga classes and swimming.
- Decrease your sodium intake: I love my sea slat but when you try this, see if you can taste the natural flavor of the whole foods you are adding. Especially during the holidays when added sodium sneaks in.
- Add in new or change up your supplements: Try taking them at different times of the day or switch up the amount. If you have been wanting to add in a new supplement, this may help your body get over the plateau. Some examples are; Alpha-lipoic acid, cinnamon capsules, higher doses of Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 (balances hormones) and different combinations of B-vitamins.
- Throw in a curve ball: Whether it is a gratitude practice for your body, visualizations, meditations, breath work or a change in your routine, your body knows best and there is a reason it is holding on. By shifting your consciousness and perspective, you can change your outcomes and results.
Let us know if any of these support you and what has helped you jump over your personal physical or emotional plateaus!
FREE Wellness Webinar tonight! At 5 pm PST (recorded for your convenience) I will be sharing more about how to TRUST your gut and learn how to interpret your body’s needs. Head here to JOIN my complementary Facebook Group: Feel your way thru the Holidays! We will be LIVE in Zoom conferencing (info in the group)!
The FEELING DIET program: Join NOW for the 6-week Feeling Diet process to help you END yo-yoing and prevent you from signing up for another EXTREME program that leaves you feeling disappointed. I will support you in the private group through the New Year and then beginning January 21st, 2020, you will be set up toward a NEW way of nourishing yourself. JOIN NOW at the Early Bird pricing.
Let’s be fluctu-GREAT,
Heather Fleming, C.C.N.