Healthy Egg Nog Recipe
I love warm egg nog during the festive season. Try this recipe so you can get your fix without any extra sugar or inflammation from too much dairy.
- 6 extra-large egg yolks
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 1 stick whole cinnamon
- 20 ounces (about 1½ cans) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8 tablespoons rum (optional 🙂
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks and coconut palm sugar.
- Whisk briskly until thickened. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat the almond milk with the cinnamon stick, stirring frequently, until the cinnamon becomes fragrant and the milk has been reduced by about one-third.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and discard the cinnamon stick.
- Pour the reduced milk it very slowly into the egg yolk and sugar mixture, whisking constantly. This is how we temper the eggs, so they don’t scramble.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan, and stir in the coconut milk.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop, and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble a bit and starts to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the vanilla, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon.
- Stir in the optional rum.
- Chill completely in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Thanks to Mattie Hagedorn for the photo!