These words flew out of my mouth while I was supporting a client toward more self care. He is an amazing man that is there for everyone else but getting his needs met and his body nourished wasn’t high on his list of priorities. Does this sound familiar to anyone? This the next thing he said was, “Actually, I met Mother Theresa and she told me that I looked tired and needed rest.” My mouth dropped open and there wasn’t much else to say–she said it and, randomly, this girl from Nebraska who teaches nourishment said it.
A few months later, I would like to report when I saw my client, he had the light back in his eyes, color in his skin, lost 12 pounds and was taking a week off for vacation. It was time for him to take care of himself.
Is this how your day goes? You pull yourself out of bed, grab caffeine, rush to get your day started, stop mid day to grab a bite then feel bloated and lethargic after, have no desire to work out or stop at the store to get groceries, then couch surf, sleep and start the routine all over again? All day you are depriving your body by not getting its needs met. This accumulation of deprivation begins the accumulation of cortisol that becomes chronic to your body. It isn’t one surge that throws you off, it is the negative self talk, the abuse on your body, and the lack of nutrition it isn’t getting that throws you in the dis-ease state.
Here are a few of self care strategies to help you begin.
- Drink 16 oz of water upon waking. It is getting a bit warmer now, so even if it chilled, go for it. Also, try to add nourishment before your caffeine intake. I have a client who shifted this and in one week her energy level doubled, I said doubled:)
- Nap!: If you notice daily that you have strong cravings at a certain time of the day, this is when your body and nervous system may need a time out. For example, I let go of coffee 2 months ago (again), I wasn’t a big coffee drinker but I knew it wasn’t supporting me. After 48 hours I could not keep eyes open @ around 11 am which is not an ideal nap time, so I took my own advice and surrendered. Ten minutes later, I felt like a new woman. How many times have you ignored your body and its signals? The time from 9-11 is the when the spleen is doing its work which is associated with mental powers and converting nutrients into energy, so guess whose spleen needed a boost:).
- Nature: Seriously, nature works EVERY time. Even if you just sit outside without your phone and space out between appointments or book a nature walk after you have had an intense life situation. It is all about the negative ions. Negative ions, put in non-scientific terms, are basically oxygen ions with an extra electron attached, produced through water molecules, which is why they are in such beautifully abundant supply near fresh, flowing water supplies such as rivers, streams, seas and waterfalls. This also explains how refreshing it can be to have a have a shower, swim or take a bath when we are feeling fatigued. But these negative ions, in plentiful supply in natural settings, are dangerously low in the average air-conditioned office, over-heated home or stuffy car. The air around waterfalls, for example, can contain anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 negative ions per cubic centimeter and an office is a few hundred or less per cubic centimeter.
- Satiating Meals: Having 3-5 meals in your weekly rotation that you love and they satiate your taste buds is the best self care you can do with your relationship with food. The Conscious Nutrition Recipe Book was created to help you absorb nutrition while you loved the meals you are creating. Check it out and highlight which meals you want to experiment with and try 1-2 new ones a week.
- Fulfilling Relationships: Do you eat with your friends even though you are not hungry? Most likely it is because you may be craving connection, comfort, or support from them and this is one avenue to receive it. What if food isn’t the focus and you try other ways to connect and support each other, such as new classes, volunteering, walks, or anything new to help you release past conditioning from emotional eating that isn’t supportive.
What are some of yours? Please share!
Taking care of yourself helps your light shine brighter for others,
Heather Fleming, C.C.N.
P.S. Local San Diegoans, I am in town for the month if you need a nourishing pow-wow. Please email me:)