Desserts that balance blood sugar
Having a sweet tooth is part of our natural instinct. When we were hunters & gatherers in nature, we would search for “sweet” foods, like berries and nuts. Now, our sweet tooth has been a bit over-sensitized with sugary drinks, candy and sugar substitutes.
If you crave sugar after every meal, your body is not receiving the proper balance of macronutrients. The easiest way to restore balance is implementing healthy fat into your day. For example, if you are eating fruit add a handful of nuts with it, the fructose can raise your blood sugar while the nuts will balance out, helping you not to crave more sugar. I am more of a sweet vs. salty lady myself and would love to share some conscious desserts to keep you sweet.
1. Raw Chocolate Cake
- 1+1/2 cups raw walnuts, unsoaked
- Dash sea salt
- 12 pitted medjool dates, unsoaked
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of smashed avocado
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries for garnish (optional)
Blend walnuts and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add dates, avocado, cocoa powder and vanilla, process until mixture begins to stick together. Add the water and process briefly. Chill for 2 hours.
2. Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups of either almond or coconut milk
- 1 t of vanilla
- 1 T of cinnamon
- 1 t of raw organic honey
Mix all ingredients together then chill for 3 hours & serve.
3. My Grandma’s Apple Crisp (healthy version)
- 4 apples (firm variety is better baking with) Cut and spread into glass pan.
- Top with cinnamon & Crushed Nuts (almonds, pecans, and walnuts)
- Pour 10 ounces of coconut milk over
Bake @ 425 for 30 minutes
Heather Fleming, Joyful Food Expert
Founder of the Conscious Nutrition Program
& Author of the Have it ALL Diet
by “crushed” nuts do you mean finely chopped or ground into flour or other? thanks! the apple recipe sounds very nice
Finely chopped is my recipe. However if you try the ground you can make more of a crust. Enjoy!
Yummy, do you know where to find raw chocolate?
I love the Raw chocolate nibs from Nutiva:)