Celery, the forgotten vegetable is making a comeback. It contains antioxidant, beneficial enzymes, vitamins K, C, B-6, potassium, and folate.
I have been grabbing celery for hydration and a great blood sugar balancer. Celery had me at hello (movie trivia) with its special compounds that act as a diuretic and reduce bloating.
My 5 favorite recipes to introduce celery into your life:
- Blended celery or juice: I have been loving taking a few stalks of celery and blending it with ice and extra water. This quick drink can give you the extra umph you need to take on all of your New Year goals.
- Celery & garbanzo bean salad: I had this delicious salad overlooking the ocean to start out the new year. Chop & combine: 4 large ribs celery, sliced, 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, juice of one lime, 1 clove garlic, minced, 1 tsp cumin, 1 T olive oil, 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced, 1/4 t salt, black pepper to taste. Top with salmon or just eat it plain.
- Chicken & Veggie Soup: Good ole fashion soup can never do you wrong. Cut up carrots, celery, onions, broth of your choice and saute dark meat chicken in coconut oil if you are feeling it to add to the soup.
- Celery & Fennel Salad: This salad always makes me smile and is super helpful to clear your liver after the holiday festivities: 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, 6 celery stalks, 3-4 tbsp fruity extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp lemon juice. Try topping with figs for an extra zing.
- Ants on a log: This recipe is perfect when you are having a sugar crash, in need of something savory, sweet & crunchy. Try replacing the raisins for smaller ants and top with chia seeds. Click Here for Ants on a Log from the Conscious Nutrition Recipe Book
Let’s give celery a chance in 2017!
Heather Fleming, C.C.N