I make this on special occasions, it is a crowd pleaser!
- Lots of grape seed oil (1/4 cup-ish)
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 8 ounces mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the celery is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme, and sauté until the mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes more.
- Add almost the remaining of oil (saving about a tablespoon) and the rice, and, stirring constantly, cook until the rice is evenly coated and sounds like crispy rice cereal in the pan, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Begin to ladle the broth into the rice and cook, continuing to stir, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to add the broth in ladleful increments, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before another addition, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas (you can add them frozen) and cook for just about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the peas are tender and bright green.
- Stir in the remaining olive oil, parsley.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.