When most people share their traveling adventures, you see their eyes glaze over and smiling from ear to ear from their happy memories. However, we all have a crazy travel story; late planes, lost luggage, weather delays, and cranky fellow travelers. To keep your mood elevated and your energy restored, here are a few tips to keep you on board.
- Before traveling add 2,000 mg of Vitamin C for 3-4 days and bring for and after the trip.
- When you are traveling, especially going east, replace bigger meals with small snacks, and adjust your snacks to the time zone of your destination.
- Try adding protein powders to your diet. See our earlier post on Protein Powder for more about the benefits. We tend to overeat simple carbohydrates and not enough healthy proteins. The best proteins powders are pea, rice, egg white or whey. They come in single servings and mix with 8 ounces of water or almond milk, adding cinnamon for taste. Cinnamon also supports heart health and blood sugar balancing.
- Staying hydrated is the secret to travel success. Room temperature bottled water is the best for your body to stay hydrated. Adding lemon or cucumber will assist in electrolyte absorption. If experiencing nausea add ginger or a bit of ginger ale to your bottle of water. Bring your own water container, such as a Stainless Steel or glass version, this will provide you larger portions and always have it with you.
- If you experience headaches or indigestion when you travel, try adding fresh pineapple and/or coconut water to your diet. If you can’t purchase those, bring Digestive Enzymes (our link), or bromelain capsules (which is pineapple extract) and they can eliminate inflammation.
- Add 8 ounces of water after every cup of coffee, tea, and alcoholic drink to keep you hydrated.
- Bring your own trail mix for your travels: 3 handfuls of nuts to 1 handful of dried fruit. Dried fruit has more sugar and can imbalance your blood sugar leaving you with low energy.
- Rest! That is what your body needs most of all, Tender Loving Care!