We all have addictions, the goal is to pick one that is less harmful than others. I am in awe of the Diet Coke addiction, so I did a little research. The recipe of diet coke has extracts from the coca leaf (cocaine). The leaf is sold to the only company in the U.S. that is licensed to purify cocaine and create the extract. Besides the more obvious addicting ingredient, caffeine, you have this factor also.
I have seen many clients successfully ween off of Diet Coke and only to find out three months later they are back on. I believe the body stores remnants of the chemicals and these go back into the bloodstream causing the addiction to return.
We all are going to pass on from this body, so why bother giving up something you love? I tend to see clients who drink Diet Coke or other Energy Drinks be more in a state of stress. They really want to make life changes to increase their vitality, however they are pulling along this giant weight that keeps their brain a bit foggy, energy levels crash, and slight weight gain every year.
Tips to decrease the amount of Diet Soda’s & Energy Drinks
1. Ween off to prevent the headache and not to overstress your body. Plan for a 2 week period to begin reducing the amount your drink, do NOT go “all or none”. Switch to teas for caffeine such as; Green, Mate, Black or White.
2. Drink 8 ounces of water after every soda or energy drink to rehydrate.
3. Drink 8 ounces of coconut water @ 3 pm to support the natural energy dip.
4. Take 2 Emergen-C’s in 6 ounces of water every morning to prevent the headache after you have titrated down.
5. Hire your amazing Nutritionist to balance your Macro-nutrients to thrive in energy and release the caffeine crutch.
Cheers with water,