I was blessed to shadow an amazing doctor who is dedicated to helping at risk youth implement healthy lifestyle practices. I was teary eyed in every appointment observing the 9 year old with early stages of Diabetes to the 17 year old crying because she felt alone in this world.
The children were overweight and had darker skin around their necks, which is a sign of high blood sugar and borderline Diabetes. One child was eating most of his meals at school and those meals contained heaps of fruit punch and were causing more stress than the at home meals.
Dr. Riba’s program called Serving Kids Hope, which allows each child 9 visits with her and her team. She has some grant money to help give these children a chance and is doing heaps of education for the cause. She also wrote a book with Jon Gabriel called the Fit Kids Revolution, and she is doing fundraising events this year, which I am invited to be a Celebrity Chef:) Check out Dr. Patricia Riba‘s book and her website.
So, What do we do? Jamie Oliver tried to get a movement going, and I haven’t heard from his cause as much. Do we pack lunches or try to change the school system? Honestly, I really don’t know, I would love your input.
Here are a few packed lunch ideas & I would love to hear from anyone who is having success with packing their children’s lunches and noticing health changes in their kids.
Pack it up:
- Applegate brand lunch meat for roll-ups, packed apple and raw, cheese cubes.
- Hard boiled eggs with sliced red peppers and sprouted grain bread or homemade muffins
- Almond butter and and banana sandwich, strawberries and pumpkin seeds, and celery with almond butter and raisins.
- Flavored hummus with cucumbers, Applegate meat slices, olives, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Turkey sandwich with smear of avocado, carrots, and yogurt swirled with vanilla and honey.
Pack a water bottle and please hold the juice.
Cheers to healthy kids and our future,
Heather Fleming, C.C.N
P.S. We have one more group Jump Start Program until 2016! Get your body in balance before the Holidaze:)
Click here to sign up!