I am heading to New York then on to Omega Institute this week. In honor of New York pizza, here is our pesto pizza recipe. Pesto is a great alternative to tomato sauce. Pesto has healthy fat to combine with the starch of the crust.
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Arrowhead mills gluten free pizza crust mix
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- Place the toasted pine nuts in Emulsifying Blender
- Add in the garlic and a pinch of kosher salt and combine.
- Mix in the basil and Parmesan.
- Stir in the olive oil and season with pepper.
Follow directions for pizza crust
- Spread the pesto over the dough, leaving 1-inch around the edge to form a crust.
- Top with the onion and tomato slices and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Scatter the olives all over the pizza and top with the fresh mozzarella.
- Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.