The majority of inquiries that I receive usually relate to sugar cravings. However, lately I have had heaps of crunch Cravers. Do you crave chips, popcorn, or salty crunch? Is it oral fixation or a sign of dehydration? Or Both?
Most people tend to run on stress and adrenaline through out their day. So when they get off work, their body needs to be calmed and replenished. The craving for crunchy carbohydrates can stimulate the release of endorphins. Endorphins are natural opiate-like chemicals that lower pain sensitivity, reduce stress, ease anxiety and create a sense of pleasure. This can make you want to repeat eating these foods to recreate that state of being.
What to do when you are craving crunch:
1. Drink 16 ounces of water to make sure your body is not dehydrated.
2. Try eating almonds or walnuts vs. corn & potato chips.
3. Try Trader Joe’s Roasted Seaweed Snacks for salt and iodine replenishment.
4. Take 5 Deep Breaths to calm down your nervous system.
5. Eat CRUNCH!
When you try to avoid a craving for too long, you may become more obsessed, and then go overboard.
Here is a healthy version of popcorn for all of you Crunch Cravers:)
1. Scoop 2-3 T. of organic virgin coconut oil into your heated Stove-top popper.
2. Add 1/2 to 3/4 c. organic popcorn (this way you’re sure not to get genetically modified corn) and cook.
3. After popping, add plenty of real, unsalted, organic, butter (about 3T. per batch or so, more or less to taste) and sea salt, mix around well.
If your cravings are becoming out of control, we will be offering our RESET program beginning October 9th. This program is 3 weeks of Conscious eating to give your body a break and support healthy habits.
Please email us for more information and to sign up!