The Conscious Nutrition Food Tree has high quality foods from each food group.
The Tree provides a foundation for meal planning using Exchanges.
Serving Size Guidelines for a single (1) Exchange
1/4 Cup Raw Nuts & Seeds
1 T. of oils and nut butters
3 Ounces of Meat for Women
4 Ounces of Meat for Men
Organic, Free-Range Eggs
1/2 Cup of Cooked Beans & Lentils
1/2 Cup Cooked Grains
3 red potatoes
1 Corn Tortilla
1 slice of Bread
1/2 Sweet Potato
HEAPS (Go for it!) 1 Cup is a Serving
- Vegetables are the foundation of your program
- Divide your plate into thirds: 1/3 Veggies – 1/3 Protein – 1/3 Fat
- Eat 2 servings of healthy fat per MEAL: Healthy fat makes you thinner
- Eat one side of the Conscious Nutrition Tree or the other exclusively as often as possible. This will ensure you at each separating your Starches and Proteins at each meal. Separating Proteins and Starches keeps them from competing for digestive resources so you can realize the full nutrient value.
- You may combine protein and starches more often the closer you get to your goal and with increased amount of daily physical activity.
- Fruit: Eat fruit with nuts as a snack, not with meals. Ex. Apple with almond butter. Fruits are for fun, not for nutrition.
- Dairy: Dairy is for fun; not always for optimal health! Eat organic, whole, raw dairy products, or substitute for almond milk, coconut milk and goat dairy products. Dairy is best with the Protein Side of the Tree
- If you are drinking alcohol, eat less starch and fruit during that day and the next
- Drink liquids 30-60 minutes prior to or post meals
- Eat food or a shake first every morning before any hot or cold beverages and supplements.
- Don’t forget the protein shake! It falls under the protein side of the tree.